Springdale, AR asked in Adoption for Arkansas

Q: My ex is unagreeable for my husband to adopt my daughter. We've been married 6 years.

He has not had any contract in 8 years. Is it possible this can end going in my ex's favor in court instead?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If a parent goes more than one year without seeing the child on a regular basis OR goes more than one year without paying any meaningful support, that parent's rights may be terminated. As such, your husband could adopt if:

He has a good relationship with the child for such duration he has become the father;

He has no felonies or has had any felonies removed from his record;

Of good repute;

Has the ability and desire to adopt and care for the child;

You must consent.

Adoptions are highly complex. You will need an attorney.

If the Ex refuses to approve, expect fees around $7500.

If the Ex agrees, expect fees around $4000 - maybe less.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.