Port St John, FL asked in Divorce for Florida

Q: Married in CA live in FL no contact w/husband for 4 yrs. How do I get a divorce?

I was in the Navy when I married him in 2004. Haven't seen him since 2007. Last email with him was on Feb 18th 2016. I have looked for him on social media, and even paid a site to get information about him. None of the numbers listed are in service and his email is no longer valid. I'm trying to buy a house but would need a letter from him stating that he would not be on the mortgage. I'm at a loss on what to do.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Opal Phiona Lee
Opal Phiona Lee
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You may try and retain a PI to conduct a location search. It may also be possible for you to dissolve your marriage via service by publication. It would be wise to schedule a consult with one of us divorce attorneys in order to obtain more specific information.

Mr Eric Klein agrees with this answer

B. Elaine Jones
B. Elaine Jones

A: You will have to publish the divorce. It is possible to get you divorced. You should consult with and retain a family law attorney to assist you as it is a little complicated. Most JUSTIA attorneys offer a free initial consultation. Contact one of us and let us know you found us on JUSTIA. Good luck.


B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.