Salt Lake City, UT asked in Divorce for Utah

Q: I filed for divorce and paid the fees and just received the receipt in the mail with his signature stating he received

The papers. What is my next step?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Craig
Brian Craig

A: After the respondent is served, the respondent then files an answer. Next, the parties will be required to submit disclosures under Rule 26.1, including the financial declaration. The parties can then try to reach a settlement agreement, or stipulation on all issues. If there are children, the parties will also be required to complete the divorce education courses. Once a stipulation is reached and the parties have completed the divorce education courses (if children are involved), proposed findings of fact and proposed divorce decree can be submitted to the court. Divorce actions with children are a lot more complicated. The parties will also need to submit the child support worksheet, income verification for both parties, and a parenting plan. There is also a required 30 day waiting period after the petition is filed before the court can . If the respondent fails to timely file an answer, the petitioner can seek a default judgment.

OCAP has a system for persons who are representing themselves in some legal matters, including divorce cases.

Many lawyers can also assist with the paperwork for uncontested divorces for a reasonable fee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.