Knoxville, TN asked in Divorce for Tennessee

Q: Been married 23 yrs not been together in 19of those yrs. Both have moved on with our lives...

I want a divorce, but I'm not sure he will sign papers purely out of spite. Would it be wise on my part to file an online divorce and do it myself or should I contact an attorney. We have 2 children together but both are over 18 now. We have no property or shared money to divide. I just simply want a divorce. What's your best advice in how I should proceed? Thank you in advance!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can file a Complaint for Divorce and pursue without him signing anything. That is done all the time.

I would not recommend handling a divorce without an attorney. Even though it looks like it is simple at this point, in my practice, over 50% of divorces turn into contested divorces. If you have an attorney of record, he or she can handle everything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.