Belleville, MI asked in Employment Law for Michigan

Q: I work for a property management company (apartments) they do a lot of shady stuff that is illegal and dangerous

dangerous for the residents i have made them aware multiple times they really dont care.Is there any way i can cash in by letting them know im going to rat them out or is that extortion is there any way to profit from these slumlords both the management company and the owners know about these issues and they both have deep pockets

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You would likely have no recourse to sue them since you don't have standing for damages as a tenant might. So if your only recourse is likely to report their actions or negligence to the city, and let the city take appropriate action. And of course, you could expect not to work for them for very much longer.

If they are really doing what you say they are, you might be better served finding a new employer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.