Atlanta, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: I signed a temporary guardianship for my sister to have my daughter , it's been over 6 months. Is it terminated?

I want to cancel it without her permission. She is lying and being deceitful saying I signed my rights but the paper is temporary guardianship and I want my daughter back. I think she tried to file for child support when I already have an open case and seemed custodial parent in another state. What are my rights and what are my options? What can she do in retaliation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You do have the right to end the temporary guardianship and get your child back. You should consult with an attorney who can review the facts of your case in detail and help you plan the proper course of action to address the situation. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.