Dallas, OR asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oregon

Q: Am I able to file to file a small estate affidavit, since I am listed as 100% owner since my husband died?

We owned the house outright, but he took out a 30 yr mortgage in his name. I am paying that monthly , but it is a debt. If I had to claim the house, it may come in at over $200,000 limit..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you are on the Deed to the house then you likely do not need a probate or small estate affidavit. You can just keep paying the mortgage or refinance it into your name.

If it is only your husband's name on the Deed then you will need a full probate if the fair market value as of his date-of-death without subtracting the mortgage is over $200,000. If it is $200,000 or less then you can file a small estate affidavit.

It's a good idea to consult an experienced probate attorney who can review your specific facts and give you legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.