Peachtree City, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: Can I deduct the medical costs the custodial parent owes me (non-custodial parent) from the next months child support?

I pay $300/month in child support and I'm responsible for making sure he has insurance, which he does. While in my care, my son needed to go to the dr and we split all uninsured medical costs in half. Can I take the amount the custodial parent owes me out of the next months child support? For example: child support is $300 and the custodial parent owes me (non-custodial) $17.43 (copay and perscription). Can I pay $282.57 in child support for the next month to cover his portion if the expenses?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: No. You must pay the child support and collect the expenses separately.

--Regina Edwards | | 770.854.0777

Fair, Flat Fees Only - No Hourly Billing

V. Joy Edwards agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.