Ontario, CA asked in Probate for Illinois

Q: My dad passed away in 2017 I am his biological child, I was never notified. His estate was intestate went to probate

Closed May 2018. What can I do to claim as his legal heir

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oakbrook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You need to look at the probate file and determine what happened. You will need to see who was identified as an heir. There should be an order declaring heirship. If you were not identified as an heir, then there is a likely issue. I have no idea if your address was unknown to the person appointed as the administrator, but court's usually require reasonable efforts to locate heirs and legatees. Are you the only child and where was the estate opened. Thanks, Bryan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.