Salt Lake City, UT asked in Tax Law for Utah

Q: Letter came today of unpaid/filed taxes from 2013-2017 totaling around $11,000 28 days to pay, I need a lawyer right?

I'm in the service industry and yeah, I was irresponsible and never filed knowing I'd owe a reasonable amount since most my employers didn't take taxes out. I received 7 liens & pretty positive I need a lawyer before they start garnishing, but if there's something I can easily do, please help. I know nothing about taxes so I'm definitely pointing toward the direction of hiring a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Hello,

Getting one of those nasty letters from the IRS is never fun. You can certainly hire a lawyer, but if you agree that you are responsible for the taxes and you full intend to pay, it might be worth your time to contact the IRS and get on a payment plan. You will spend a bunch of time on the phone waiting to talk to a representative, but that might be worth your time rather than paying an attorney to spend that same time on the phone. If you doubt some of their fees etc, then you should contact an attorney or a good tax accountant, there are some allowances that some of the fees and some of the penalties can be forgiven for your first time doing it. Those can be substantial (I have seen relief of over $500).

I hope this helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.