Jasper, TN asked in Divorce and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: My husband had me served with divorce papers and he keeps messaging me to sign them. My appt w/att is July 29

I suffer from mental health issues and feel I need legal advice before signing anything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You don't have an obligation to sign papers that you are not comfortable with. However, if your Husband has filed a Complaint for Divorce against you, then you do have an obligation to have the Complaint answered. I would consult immediately with a competent local divorce attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, then call your local Legal Aid Society or Bar Association to find an attorney that does pro bono work. Don't sign anything without legal advice.

3 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.