Florissant, MO asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Construction Law for Missouri

Q: Can I sue the seller or contractor?

I purchased a house in Aug 2019. There was rotted would that i wanted replaced and the banks underwriter was requiring to be replaced. The receipt from the contractor stated the wood was replaced. It wasnt replaced. It was temporarily fixed. My basement has been getting rained in at the spot of the rotted wood since I moved in. Can I sue the sellers or contractors because its basically a breach of contract. They didnt do what the bank nor myself asked them to do before closing. They basically lied resulting in me continuing with the purchase. How am I protected as a buyer in this situation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If you did not hire the contractor then I don't think you have a legal basis to sue the contractor. But I believe it is worth looking into suing the sellers for violation of Missouri's Merchandising Practces Act (MPA). Here's a blog article that I wrote. Beware, Missouri's governor signed S.B. 591 that amended and weakened the MPA. The amendments apply to cases filed on and after August 28, 2020, so if you are going to end up engaging an attorney and suing, you ought to do it before the statute is weakened.


Ronald J. Eisenberg

Schultz & Associates LLP

640 Cepi Drive, Suite A

Chesterfield, MO 63005


Direct: (636) 733-6647

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.