Detroit, MI asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Michigan

Q: I need help with divorce and child custody. I would like to make sure that I dont get abandonment of my child .

I asked for a separation last Saturday night and was asked to leave where I was living. I tried to take my daughter with me but my husband and his family denied me to take her. She is 12 yrs old and she wanted to stay with her dad and grandparents. I just want it known that I didnt abandoned her. I have no problem with having 50 50 custody. Can you please help me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. Clair Shores, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The court will look at the best interests of the child factors to determine child custody. The fact that your spouse’s family denied your request to take your daughter does not control here. Hire an attorney and file for divorce. Unless there are strong factors weighing against 50/50 custody, that may be a likely outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.