Hastings, NE asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: If a guy claims that my child is his, can he file for custody even though he hasn’t been in her life since she was born?

She turned 4 this year and he is claiming he is going to go to court to get visitation rights. Is that even possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: There is a statute of limitation for paternity in Nebraska of 4 years old. That being said, there are a number of work-arounds, such as asking the State to file a paternity action as the State has until 18 years old to file for paternity. Further, if there is a child support order established or if he is on the birth certificate, then the 4 year statute of limitations will not likely apply. Thus, it is entirely possible for a biological father to ask for custody or visitation even if the father hasn't been in the child's life.

If an absent parent requests parenting time, the court generally will allow parenting time by taking small steps. For example, start by introducing the child and biological parent in therapy sessions or supervised visits before graduating to unsupervised parenting time. Some judges handle this differently than others. If he files an action, you would want to hire an attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.