Atlanta, GA asked in Tax Law for Georgia

Q: My husband always take our tax return and don't give me any is there a way that I can get my part sent to me separately?

My husband is very controlling especially when it comes to money and he never share the income tax return

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric  Day
Eric Day
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Henderson, NV

A: Typically, the best way to separate the refunds attributed to your income from his income is to file a Married Filing Separate tax return. However, this usually affects the amount of refund you get overall because you miss out on some credits and deductions that you would otherwise qualify for under married filing joint status. Additionally, if one of you itemizes their return, the other would need to do the same causing less of a deduction for one individual as opposed to the other.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.