Buford, GA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: contempt for not paying child support and attorney fees, sentenced to jail, can they appeal to avoid jail

If a party has appealed existing court orders (lost appeals, even GA Supreme Court) and has not paid a dime, at the contempt hearing, if the party is found in contempt, can they avoid jail by filing an appeal to drag the case out? What GA case law could be used to prevent appealing if indeed the party is found in contempt?

1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: We would need to know about the specifics of your case in order to provide you with guidance. You should consult with an attorney who can review the facts and provide you with guidance that is unique to your case. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.