Bayonne, NJ asked in Child Custody and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: Im on child support but my child mother has abandoned her son ain’t seen him since June 7 haven’t called or reached Out

It’s not the first time it’s happened she did it back in 2019 I lost job I pay child support my son in daycare from 8 to 530 and I take him the weekends every week when I got off on Friday she wanted to take a overnight job and she wanted me to keep my son sun until thrusday and still pay child support for 5 days when he only would be in Her custody 2 days and mine most of the time I Said no she replies I’m taking the job so if u ain’t gonna do it I’m pack his stuff and bring him to u And u can have him I said okay give me custody She said okay then blocked me until I guess she lost the job or quit now she ain’t reached out I don’t think she work she just don’t want him I am on child support but my child’s mother had abandoned her son ain’t seen him since June 7 haven’t called or reached out to me but she is always posting on social media I even have footage of her rioting when all that was going on I lost my job cause I had no one to watch him and know I’m backed on child support

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. This situation must be very stressful for you. The short answer is that you need to file a motion to modify the prior order to give you custody and adjust child support accordingly. That being said, your case has a lot of moving parts, so you should consult with an experienced family law attorney to understand your rights as you go forward. Many firms, including mine, offer free consultations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.