Key West, FL asked in Divorce, Family Law and Military Law for Florida

Q: What can my girlfriend do if her husband doesn’t want to get a divorce and he is blackmailing her to stay with him?

My girlfriend is being blacked mailed by her husband and threatening her that he will ruin her career and take everything away from her if she divorces him. He verbally and emotionally abused her. He uses religion to shame her and family as well. He has emails, text messages and pictures of us and he is threatening to use that against her. She has gone to counseling both marriage and personal and she still doesn’t want to be with him. Every time she tries to leave or ask for a divorce he just yells and yells at her, and punishes her by taking her laptop and cell phone away and the only time she gets allowed to use it is when he is around. He also set up cameras all over the place just so he can keep an eye on her at all times. She was enlisted and now she is in college getting her masters and soon she will be commissioning. I am enlisted as well. What can I do to protect her and her career that she has worked so hard for

2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Get her an attorney.

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO

A: She can file for a protection order which, if she prevails, will prevent him from contacting or harassing her. She can also file for divorce and then deal with any issues subsequent that actually arise appropriately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.