Springfield, TN asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Tennessee

Q: I am wanting to get a divorce from my alcoholic husband and want custody of our daughter, where do I start

I am concerned if he will drive drunk with her or pass out with her in his care.

He refuses rehab.

I have been a stay at home mom and need to know where to start.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I would suggest that you immediately get an order of protection from the police department so that he cannot be around her. The next step is to hire a competent local attorney to file a Complaint for divorce. Once that is done, he/she can get and order of protection with the court. With regard to the order of protection with the police, you just call them if it is violated. When it is in court, you can go for contempt and have him jailed for 10 days. The divorce itself will turn all no contact to mutual, so you cannot go around him, and he cannot be around you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.