Salt Lake City, UT asked in Banking and Elder Law for Utah

Q: If my daughter has a joint account with her grandfather can she help herself to his money when ever she pleases.

He sold his home, she had the money put into an old account with both their names (left over from car loan) now she has taken a ton of money and he has no clue. This man has nothing but what was from the house. She thinks it's not illegal. Isn't it theft by deception? What can I do to help my poor step father, he can't lose everything, he's already lost hope in life.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: She could be at risk of being charged with exploitation of a vulnerable adult. If you have any influence with your father, he needs to remove his money from the account and put it in an account only he or trusted persons have control over. He can always designate someone to have control of the account upon his death but he should not have funds in a joint account with his granddaughter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.