Pittsburgh, PA asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I continue my graduate studies while changing status from F-2 to H-4 given that my F-2 is now expired.

My husband recently changed hi status to H1-B, effective from 6/1/2020. That is the same date that my F-2 expired on.

For Now, I only have the receipt notice from USCIS.

Also, can I travel to my home country to get my visa from there if the US embassy reopened while I filed for the change of status from inside USA?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: H4 visa holders can study in the US, and yes, assuming you can travel you should be able to return to your home country to apply for a visa abroad.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.