Springfield, MO asked in Child Custody for Missouri

Q: Is my son still eligible for child support?

My son will attend college. & has earned a scholarship that will probably cover all the costs of college

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rico Robinson
Rico Robinson
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Typically an obligation to pay child support support ends once the kid turns 18 in Missouri. However, there are some exceptions to this general rule, and attending college is one of them. In Missouri, if the kid enrolls in higher education, child support can run until the kid reaches the age of 21. As long as the kid remains enrolled in school and is enrolled in at least 12 hours, your son may be eligible for child support. Once he turns 21 or finishes school, which ever comes first, the support will typically end.

**No attorney-client relationship is formed through interaction with this attorney on this public forum. The contents of any comment or response should be considered general conversational discourse on the topic identified and NOT specific legal advice or analysis that might apply to your situation. If you rely upon any part of the content of this response in making any decision or pursuing any course of action, you do so at your own risk and without recourse against this attorney or law firm

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.