Flat Rock, MI asked in Collections for Michigan

Q: My son was served with a summons from a debt collector Who he called try to negotiate lower amount can’t afford to pay

The debt is from a credit card he opened in 2014. He lost his job. Wasn’t able to pay his payments. He got another job minimum-wage basically not much more was not able to make the payments. Received notices of debt collection. He joined Navacore so that he could make payments within his limited means but lost that job and after making payments for over a year. Working now but has newer debt he has been paying on.Needs advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: When dealing with collection suits, the debt collector generally is going to try to get a judgment which will allow the creditor to collect the judgment from future income and assets. There are ways to settle such suits, either through paying a lump sum of money payable in a relatively shorter length of time, or to pay monthly payments over a longer time period. Unless the settlement is the lump sum variety, the creditor usually will insist on getting a judgment.

If your son cannot afford to pay the judgment, either now or in the future, it may be wise for him to consult with a bankruptcy attorney. Filing bankruptcy now may be able to help him deal with all his current obligations at once, and give him a clean slate moving forward. This could help him avoid garnishments and court collection actions in the future from this creditor and others. For more information, he should get a consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney in his area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.