Murfreesboro, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: I have an apartment that I have let a family member live in rent free for 11 years. I've given this person 30 days to f

I've decided that grace period is up and I no longer want this person living in my apartment. There was never a lease or any sort of written agreement. I was letting them live there because they would've been homeless otherwise. I gave them a 30 day notice to find somewhere else to live, today. What do I do if they don't leave?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You have to file a Detainer Warrant with General Sessions Court. Sue For Possession Only (no money). However you could lose and have to file an Ejectment Action, which will be expensive and difficult. File it Monday. If you receive Federal Subsidies, the virus mess will delay you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.