Columbus, OH asked in Child Custody for Nebraska

Q: Is it legal for dhhs to place a child in foster care before the Ex parte petition with the court Has even been filed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vanessa Jean Gorden
Vanessa Jean Gorden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lincoln, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Yes. Ex parte motion must meet the emergency level but it only has to be signed by the Court- not necessarily on file or public record. They only have 5 days to file a Petition following that Order and a temporary custody hearing must be held in a timely manner. If children have been removed, most juvenile courts will appoint a court-appointed attorney right away for parents so they have someone to guide them through the process. You can call the clerk of courts to find out who that would be. Best wishes in this difficult situation!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.