Scranton, PA asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property)

Q: Can you help me to sell my patent?

Patent number: 7851255 filed in 2010

1 Lawyer Answer
John B. Hudak
John B. Hudak

A: Search patent brokers – give them a call – some can be hit or miss if they will pick up their phones.

There are some non practicing entities (NPE) – which can have a bad reputation as abusing the system – although some aggregate electronic patents to be bought or sold. Also a NPE can enforce your patent in some instances – depending on situation – although issues of standing have arisen in the last year.

Likely the most important issue is if someone else needs the patent to have a viable product – and that counter party will search you out – unless the other party is using your patent unknowingly. In that case, you can assert rights with litigation – which may lead to license payments – but litigation is expensive.

This answer includes generalizations and there are many caveats. This answer does not form an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.