Lincoln, NE asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Nebraska

Q: Child Support Terminated June 9,2011 DHHS Didnt recognize it till 7-15-2020. Signed rights over, Adoption was final .

State never bothered to see if Adoption was final before Divorce of Custodial parent and Adoptee. $50 A month From June 2011 - July 2020 = State owes me correct? I was in contempt three times and served over 6 months in jail two of the three times, the 1st time I payed over $2500 To be released, no record of that going to custodial parent

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The burden is technically on the parent whose rights were terminated to file the motion to terminate child support. That being said, if the State received the money due to a child support assignment due to some type of public assistance, you may have a right to have it reimbursed. If the custodial parent received the money, then you may have a right to have it reimbursed but may have to file action against the custodial parent to receive it.

You would need to speak with an attorney to see about the best way to proceed and the likelihood for reimbursement depending on your specific facts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.