Kansas City, MO asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Missouri

Q: What can I do if the mother of our unborn child refuses to let me have anything to do with our child and puts it a risk?

The Mother is now 11 weeks pregnant and I have evidence of her doing drugs and refusing to set up any appointments with a doctor for the child, also the mother is threatening to not let me see our child when he/she is born I am worried for our child's wellbeing and I would like to know what all can I do before and after the child is born?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rico Robinson
Rico Robinson
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: First and foremost, I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. The law tends to make it more difficult for a father to establish his parental rights. The first thing you would need to do is establish the child's paternity. If you guys are married, Missouri assumes the child's father to be the husband. If the child's paternity is not assumed, then you would need to take the steps to establish paternity. You can either request that genetic testing be completed in order to confirm you are in fact the child’s father and entitled to parental rights, or you can file a court action in order for a judge to establish paternity. Once paternity is established, you may seek child custody or visitation. It is best to speak directly with an attorney for more details about how to prevent her from withholding the child from you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.