Manchester, TN asked in Probate for Tennessee

Q: My father who recently passed away I was his caregiver he gave me a few things before passin he had no will no POA

A sibling is threaten to get probate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shanone Emmack
Shanone Emmack
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If your father died without a will (intestate) then your father's estate will be divided among his wife and children.

You can petition the court to be the personal representative and handle your father's estate. If your sibling becomes the personal representative then he/she will be required by law to administer the estate for the benefit of all the heirs. Therefore, things should be divided equally among the children. I hope I answered your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.