Aurora, CO asked in Family Law for Colorado

Q: If the parenting plan states the father will come from out of state every weekend to see his child, but fails to do so

And then requests for his parents to take the child every single time for his parenting time for over a year, but they refuse to help with his education and co parenting, is the mother obligated to continue to drop the child off to the grandparents for the fathers parenting time?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cindy Perusse
Cindy Perusse
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The court ordered parenting time governs what you and the father are to be doing. If you tried to accommodate dad and grandparents then that's fine. But if that arrangement is no longer working then go back to the schedule of the parenting time order. If Dad isn't using his parenting time then you have the option of filing a motion to modify pt and child support to reflect what is actually going on. Grandparents have no obligation to pay for the education or any other costs of the children regardless of how often they see the grandkids.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.