Winchester, TN asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Im the NCP and i was told in 2012 by the mother that she dropped child support.

dropped child support.

I haven't received anything from child support or heard anything about it since 2012. Until a few days ago i was served papers saying i was in contempt and owe $29000.00 in arrears. Is there anything i can do to clear this up. I was told it was dropped or i would still be paying. Im trying to do whatever i gotta do to avoid jail time. Any advice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Consult with a local family law attorney. I will say that for anything regarding child support, you should always ask to see it in writing. I am not confident that the custodial parent can voluntarily relinquish child support under Tennessee law. The child support payment is for the care of the child that is within custody of the parent. If the dropping of child support that the Mother promised you was not legal, then your best action is likely to pay as much as possible and describe that your not paying was due to erroneous instructions you received from the custodial parent. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.