Allen Park, MI asked in Business Formation for Michigan

Q: Can an individual get a DBA/AN or is this only for businesses? If so, what paperwork is necessary? Thank you!

I would very much like to get official paperwork for an Assumed Name, but everything that I read online says that Assumed Names and / or DBA’s are for the names of a business rather than for just an individual. I've asked two lawyers, two businesses, and a city clerk, and so far, no one has gotten back to me. Do you have thoughts on how I might be able to move forward with setting this up for myself? Thank you so very much, and I hope all is well!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Duff
Patrick Duff
  • Grandville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If you are using the assumed name as an individual, that means you are operating as a sole proprietor. You can register the name of your sole proprietor business at the county level. Here is a link with some info:,4601,7-154-89334_61343_35413_60640-120017--,00.html

You should call your county clerk or visit its website to find out the procedure for registering in that county. Once you are registered, if you also want to add an assumed name or d/b/a, the local county clerk's office should have info on how to do that as well.

It is important to know, operating as a sole proprietor is rarely advisable, as doing so means you will be personally accountable for any debts or liabilities incurred by your company.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.