Chicago, IL asked in Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: Can my siblings sign and notarize a paper to leave our mother house to me when she passes away.

I've been paying taxes and up keep on her home as she lives with me for 3 yrs. 2 brothers have agreed but have not talk to 1 brother yet

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Shipley
Robert Shipley
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If your mother is in title to the property, then if she wants to leave you the property, she can:

1. Put that directon in a will; or

2. Execute a Quit Claim Deed, to reflect a change of ownership, so that both you and your mother are listed and identified as owners.

Which option would be best should be reviewed with an attorney, including the proper transfer language in the deed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.