Chicago, IL asked in Social Security for Illinois

Q: If I go homeless will I lose my social security benefits?

Society right now isn't the best. I've applied for low income apartments but all 6 months to a 1 year wait. I'm currently living with a relative that has no job. I'm not for sure how much longer I can stay with them or if will be homeless in coming month or two. Applied for SSI but if have no place to live is question will I have any security.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Prattville, AL

A: If you are facing homelessness and have filed for SSI, you should contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 right away to let them know of your dire financial need. Social Security can identify your SSI case as a critical case and expedite processing and adjudication of your case.

According to Social Security policy, a dire need situation exists when the person who filed a claim is:

* without food and is unable to obtain it.

* unable to obtain medicine or medical care, or access to necessary medical care is restricted due to lack of resources.

* unable to have shelter (e.g., without utilities such that his or her home is uninhabitable, homelessness, expiration of a shelter stay, or imminent eviction or foreclosure with no means to remedy the situation or obtain shelter).

In addition to requesting that Social Security identify your SSI case as critical for expedited processing, you must keep Social Security informed of where to contact you when they have questions about your SSI case as they process it. You will need to have a contact phone number and mailing address for the notices and other letters Social Security will send to you, but it can be an in care of address. You can use the phone number and address of a family member, friend, disability lawyer or representative, or homeless shelter with their permission.

You can check the status of your SSI application online using a my Social Security account. Libraries often have computers you can use to access your my Social Security account. If you are unable to check your status online, you can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.

Contact legal aid in your area for help with your SSI case and obtaining public assistance. You can also contact the SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR) program in your area. SOAR is a national program funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and designed to increase access to Social Security disability benefit programs for those who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness. For more information, visit SOAR’s website at .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.