Bristol, VA asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: Charges were filed for domestic assault July 20th. He was arrested. Court date is September 10th.

My daughter was abused for 2 years. Old scars from being whipped with a belt and scars on her legs from being beaten with a piece of wood. She has face damage that is being addressed. No one has contacted us since, a Domestic Violence Advocate was supposed to contact either me or my daughter, but hasn’t. We have pictures, the police took a few pictures and have text messages from her ex boyfriend. What do I need to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shanone Emmack
Shanone Emmack
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Nothing right now. Your daughter will need to appear on the court date as the main victim/witness. The domestic assault charge will hopefully be addressed on Sept 10th. If he pleas guilty he will likely be required to do jail time or probation and to stay away from your daughter. He will ( probably) be required to undergo treatments such as anger management classes, batterers intervention program, and/or drug and alcohol. You will just have to see how his case plays out. I'm not sure how much help can be provided for your daughter if she is an adult except for justice of seeing her abuser charged. She may be able to get some remedy on the civil side or she can seek therapy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.