Janesville, WI asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: If he didn't pay the phone bill does that make our agreement void so that I'm able to get my tv back?

My ex and I had an agreement that he'd pay my cell bill since it's in his name if he can keep my tv which I'm still paying on. I only agreed because he changed the locks and wouldn't let me get my stuff unless he could keep the TV. It's a $2500 82 inch smart TV I just bought in January. I moved out in April. The cell phone had been disconnected once due to non payment and I was left without phone service for 8 hours. He refused to release the line over to me. Since we share a child I can not be without phone service. I got a new phone and number in my name. We both signed written agreements and live in Wisconsin. We were not married.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane E. Probst
Jane E. Probst
  • Wauwatosa, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Your question is not clear as to whether you are divorced or going through a divorce. If your divorce is not finalized, you can file an Order to Show Cause for a Temporary Order regarding such issues. If you are already divorced, you will need to follow the final Judgment provisions since those are the ones that are binding in these situations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.