Bronx, NY asked in Family Law for New York

Q: How could I be emancipated at the age of 15 here in the state of New York?

I am a 15 year old, female, and I believe that my situation has crossed into abusive and neglectful. My mother has over the years shown signs of hateful behavior towards me and refuses to see me as anything other than my father, whom she has left as of 5 years ago. It hurts yes, but I seek an escape from my situation. She has now returned to New York, bringing us children along with her. I have taken the brunt end of multiple arguments between her and her boyfriend. My requests for therapy or counseling have been denied through the years and it has taken a toll.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It would be difficult for you to become emancipated as you cannot support yourself. You can however, report what is going on to the Department of Social Services who will investigate and take action if things are as bad as you say.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.