Sandy, UT asked in Divorce for Utah

Q: I am seeking a divorce. My "husband" owes me $1000.00, my name is on his car title and I need to get off his title

He is upside down on the car and has ruined my credit due to his late payments. In spite of that, he recently bought himself a new truck. What can I do to get my name off of the car?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lane Wood
Lane Wood
  • Licensed in Utah

A: With there being a loan on the vehicle, the only way that you can remove your name is through a refinance. Within the divorce decree, you will want to make sure that he is required to refinance the car to remove you from it.

Having said that, if you are going through a contentious divorce, you should consider seeking an attorney to best represent your interests. There are a lot of nuances that can be overlooked. You want to make sure it is done right the first time to avoid more problems down the road.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.