Meridian, ID asked in Probate for Utah

Q: Process and forms for Utah Probate.

My father passed away over 60 days ago, he left no will, was paying on land, all of his belongings are less than $100,000. We just need help with the process and which forms we need.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: I am sorry to hear of your loss. You are correct, if he died owning real estate (name on title) you will most likely have to go through probate.

I take it that the land is in Utah and your father was domiciled here when he passed?

I would be happy to help. Please reach out direclty if you would like to further discuss.


Kenneth Prigmore
Kenneth Prigmore
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Spanish Fork, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: A small estate affidavit would normally help if your father owned no land and his total property is valued less than $100,000. If there is land in Utah, but no will, an informal probate will be necessary.

Here is the state website for forms:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.