Hancock County, OH asked in Divorce for Tennessee

Q: I filed for divorce in TN and my spouse is incarcerated. He did not file an answer to my complaint. What do I do next?

He was served over 30 says ago by a deputy sheriff in jail. I have filed all papers for the initial complaint including custody papers, the divorce certificate, the parenting class certificate, child support (which is zero because he's incarcerated for 15 years) etc...I'm just needing to know which motion to file next. The motion for default judgement? And do i need to file a motion to set it for the hearing? I have all the papers...just need to know what order to file them. Thanks!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
Mr. Kent Thomas Jones
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can get an attorney and do it on your own. He/she will just have to draft all the appropriate documents, including but not limited to the Final Decree of Divorce and question you in front of the judge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.