Chicago, IL asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Illinois

Q: Hello my name is jason I’m an inventor and came up with an idea and submitted it. Come to find it’s not patentable

I would like to speak to the inventor

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Pittsboro, NC

A: First you should consult with a patent attorney to see if the patent that concerns you actually is still in force. It may have lapsed early for failure to pay the maintenance fee and contacting them may cause them to belatedly revive it.

But if you are sure that you want to contact the owner there are two pieces of relevant information. Neither is foolproof as some owners drop off the face of the earth and don't leave an address.

There is a place to register patent assignments at the USPTO, just like you register title to a piece of property. Not everyone does this but most people do and there are incentives to register assignments for certain types of patents. You can look for the assignee names here --

(The inventors would be assignees if they assigned their rights into a company)

If they did not record the assignment or the address for the assignee is no longer a current address (or if the assignee company name has changed and they did not update the file) -- then you can try the last law firm that worked in the patent. You can start with the name of the law firm on the patent or you may find an update at PUBLIC PAIR You can access the public records using the patent application number or the patent number.

If you found this answer helpful, you may want to look at my answers to other questions about patent law are available at the bottom of my profile page at

Kevin E Flynn

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.