Grand Island, NE asked in Criminal Law and Adoption for Nebraska

Q: I shoplifted and they won’t let us pay they sent us a letter using section 43-247.1 and 43-3001 what does that mean ?

I’m adopted and I do have some mental illness such as bipolar but we’re getting me meds

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: Are you saying that you were allegedly shoplifting and you would prefer just to pay a fine rather than go to court? Generally, you are required to appear in court when charged with shoplifting. You will want to retain an attorney prior to your first hearing or appear at the hearing and request a public defender at your first hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.