Kennesaw, GA asked in Estate Planning for Georgia

Q: My mother died 20 yrs ago with no will. There is 5 other siblings.

I have lived with her at her house since the 70's. I have paid the taxes every year and taken care of the property. She passed away in 2001. Since there is no will and the other siblings will not agree. Can I do an adverse take over or color of code. Is there anything I can do since I pay the taxes and take of everything? It has been 20 years since her death. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Probably not. You are going to have to open her estate and then have a battle with your siblings about who gets the house, who gets reimbursed for paying bills related to the house, who owes rent for living in the house, etc. This will be very complex litigation and could be quite costly. Be sure you retain an attorney who understands how these probate issues can be resolved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.