Indianapolis, IN asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Indiana

Q: What rights does my child’s father have that will hinder/prevent my move to another state?

I wish to relocate back to my home state. The father and I are not in agreement about co-parenting nor does he support it. He has a stretch of absences in her life that confuses me as to why he is so resistant. The child does not know him and cries upon his presence. Any relationship established has been at my hands(Mom). In my opinion, he serves no purpose. Countless attempts to find common grounds has failed excessively and terribly. What can I do as a mother to protect my rights and respect his? I do wish to relocate soon. I merely don’t want things to bite me once I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: You will need to file a "notice of relocation" with the court. The father can object to the relocation and request a hearing. If that happens, the court will hold a hearing and make a determination based on what is in the best interests of your child. The court may consider a variety of factors, including the distance involved, family connections in both locations, the reasons for your move, how the move will affect the father's parenting time and relationship with the child, etc. If the court sets a hearing, you should be prepared to present testimony and evidence showing why you believe the move to be in the child's best interest. You should also consider sitting down with an experienced attorney to help you through the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.