Denver, CO asked in Child Custody for Colorado

Q: I have a 9year old daughter with my ex. We have a signed custody plan giving him supervised visitation since she was 2

However he has not seen her in over 3 years and now wants me to just let him pick her up and take her for unsupervised visits. My question is what would be the best thing to do in this situation? If we go back to court for visitation rights what are the chances he will get 50/50 custody of her? We live in Colorado.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cindy Perusse
Cindy Perusse
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You need to do what the order from the court says to do. There was a reason his parenting time was supervised. If he chose not to exercise that time with his daughter that is not your problem. You need to do what is in the best interests of your child. If the father wishes to have parenting time then you may mediate with him to come to a new kind of arrangement and then get it approved by the court or he may file a motion with the court and explain why he should have different parenting time.

In either case, many parents who have been absent for a long time from a child's life will use a therapist to help "reintegrate" into the child's life again. It is usually done gradually for the comfort of the child. But, you should seek professional advise both legal and pychological before you agree to modify parenting time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.