Abbeville, LA asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Louisiana

Q: I have a hit and run felony on my record from 2004. I was arrested and went to court and paid a fine.

I backed into a vehicle by accident, I got out of the truck to see what happened. The passenger in the truck pulled me back into the truck and another passenger got behind the wheel and drove off with me in the truck. The police chased us down, arrested me booked me and let me out several hours later

I went to court and tried to get the witnesses to come to court to help me but no one showed up. I was fined and now I have a hit and run felony on my record. How do I get that removed from my record

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
E. Alexander Laird
E. Alexander Laird
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: To get a felony conviction removed from your record, you must wait 10 years after you have finished your sentence and have no felony charge pending against you.

You only get to expunge a felony conviction once every 15 years.

Hire a lawyer to file a motion for expungement

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.