Clearwater, NE asked in Divorce for Nebraska

Q: Is it an illegal practice to determine how much child support you want to pay and then put in false amounts to reach it.

My husband is projecting that I could make $ 32,000 although I gave up my career to stay home with our 4 children for 16 years. So he is using that number, but refuses to use the current year for his wages.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: The question is probably is it proper, not is it illegal. Even if you agree on the amount of child support, the numbers you use now could affect whether you would qualify for a child support modification in the future. If the Court finds your earning capacity is $32,000 now, it could be very difficult to convince the Court that your earning capacity is less than that in the future.

You should retain an attorney to assist you in your divorce. Not doing so, could be a costly mistake now or years into the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.