Macomb, IL asked in Child Custody for Indiana

Q: Can a parent in a situation where there is no court custody take a child away from other parent without kidnapping

My boyfriend's son's mother has taken their child to indiana after a protective order and temporary custody was granted. It expired in April this year. She has had several CPS investigations. How can we go about getting his son back to him and obtain custody? We live in illinois they live in indiana.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Tyson
Troy Tyson

A: In Indiana, where there is no formal court order in place regarding custody, the mother has sole legal custody of the child and has authority to make decisions on their behalf. In order for your boyfriend to gain parenting time or decision-making rights, he will need to file a petition for custody in Indiana and ask the court to hold a hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.