Nampa, ID asked in Real Estate Law for Idaho

Q: My mom died and I own property with her. Do I have to have someone assigned to be her representative?

We are in litigation with a man over the property and entered into a mediation agreement. My siblings don't want anything to do with probate and it is mine and my mother's name on the property. She didn't leave a will she just put each person's name on each account or property that she wanted it to go to. We have a lawyer and he wants me to have someone assigned to be her representative to sign the deed for her. I wanted to know if she's dead and the property is now solely mine why she needs a representative?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery

A: Most likely the lawyer wants an Administration of her Estate by a Personal Representative. Mother is dead so noone can represent her. If possible get an Affidavit of Heirship executed as the source of title, then get your siblings to execute a Quit Claim Deed to you. But your Mother's Estate might have damages against the other litigant, so he needs Probate to continue. You all need to consider the ongoing suit, and whether it is worth the trouble of Probate just to continue it.

Kevin M Rogers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.