Richmond, VA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon

Q: Next Step in Child visitation Process

Mother of child took child and moved to Oregon. I am looking to prove paternity and request visitation rights (I currently reside in PA). What is my next step? I don't have any other information on their whereabouts other than currently residing in Oregon. Do I need a PA lawyer or an Oregon Lawyer? How do I go about finding their exact location?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: It is unclear whether you need an Oregon lawyer or a Pennsylvania lawyer. The state where you should litigate depends on how long the child has been out of the state. If it has been less than 6 months, you should speak with a Pennsylvania attorney, who would likely hire an Oregon private investigator to find the mother. At that point, you would likely file a paternity suit. You should speak with a lawyer as soon as possible to understand your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.